The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Payroll & Benefits Manager position within the Office of Human Resources.
The University of St. Thomas embraces diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity for all. Our convictions of dignity, diversity and personal attention call us to embody and champion a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We welcome applicants of diverse races, ethnicities, geographic origins, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, religions, work experience, physical and intellectual abilities, and financial means. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. This commitment is consistent with our mission to inspire our students, using the Catholic intellectual tradition, to think critically, work skillfully, and act wisely – all for the common good. A successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Up to 100% tuition remission for employees, spouses, and dependents upon eligibility
- A generous Employer retirement contribution of 9.4% of annual salary upon eligibility
- Medical, dental, and vision options
- Employer-paid disability, life, and AD&D benefits
The Payroll and Benefit Manager is responsible for managing the University of St. Thomas’s payroll and benefits administration. Responsibilities include monitoring all tasks necessary to accomplish the organization’s payroll processing, communication and/or collaboration with external auditors, and frequent communication with benefit brokers. The incumbent must have significant knowledge of payroll and benefits administration, including state and federal regulations, as well as IRS and tax codes as they relate to Payroll. Principal accountabilities include: research, planning, design, communication, implementation and maintenance of all benefit initiatives.
This position reports to the AVP and CHRO and is a self-directed position working with minimal supervision. This position provides benefits and payroll leadership and supports the development of benefit programs for the University. The incumbent will deal with highly sensitive and delicate situations, making sure all information is kept confidential.
Current tools include Banner, Cognos, SharePoint, Lyris, OPTIX and Microsoft Office but others are used as required. This position supervises a team of four. This position is a member of the HR Leadership team and has University wide impact.
- Manages compliance, administration and operation of the University’s employee benefit plans, to include, but not limited to tuition programs, health and welfare, retirement, and all other fringe benefit plans and programs.
- Provides technical and operational guidance focusing on compliance with plan documents and laws (federal, state and city), process improvements and documentation.
- Analyzes complex business requirements, related operations, and technology capabilities; formulates strategic recommendations; develops work plans and leads implementation of solutions including change management.
- Works with various internal and external stakeholders, such as brokers, University communities (e.g., Fringe Benefits Advisory Committee and Retirement Investment Committee), vendors, government agencies and cross-functional teams regarding benefit-related initiatives.
- Actively participates in the design and testing of new systems and/or enhancements to existing systems, automated processes and reporting tools. Defines testing scenarios and participates in unit and system testing to ensure proper functioning of benefit systems.
- Supports the selection of and manages benefit & payroll vendors, consultants, brokers, trustees and legal assistance.
- Coordinates review of vendor contracts and plan documents for all benefit plans and services.
- Manages the University’s wellness efforts and advances wellness initiatives as appropriate.
- Oversee and supervise the organization’s payroll functions, ensuring pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with government regulations.
- Audits and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Responsible for accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Manages and facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Coordinates requirements and the development of benefit & payroll reports and communications libraries.
- Supervise/lead Payroll and Benefits team to include performance management, organization design, and recruitment.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Lead and participate in a variety of projects to support the Human Resources department (e.g. policy updates, HR process improvement, HR metrics)